What help is available for anxiety?
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) only recommends trying treatments based on cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). CBT is a type of psychological treatment that can help you manage your anxiety by changing negative or unhelpful thoughts and behaviour.
Can I buy anxiety medication over the counter?
Unfortunately, the only medications for anxiety are prescription and can not be bought over the counter. There is no such thing as over the counter anxiety medication. Anxiety medication alters the brain which is why it is a controlled substance and something you have to obtain from a doctor.
What do I tell my doctor to get anxiety medication?
Guidelines to follow when asking your doctor for anxiety medication:
- Be Direct and Specific; Ask Your Doctor to Do the Same.
- Ask Why They Recommend a Specific Medication and if Other Options Are Available.
- Find Out About Potential Side Effects You Could Experience.
- Ask How Soon You Should See Benefits.
How do doctors treat anxiety?
Standard treatment for anxiety involves psychological counseling and therapy. This might include psychotherapy, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) or a combination of therapy and counseling.
What is the best medicine for anxiety and panic attacks?
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Generally safe with a low risk of serious side effects, SSRI antidepressants are typically recommended as the first choice of medications to treat panic attacks.
- Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs).
Can I go to my OB for anxiety?
If you are having issues with your mood or suffering from depression or anxiety, talking to your OB/GYN can a good first step. Many women find that they are more comfortable with talking to their OB/GYN about mood-related concerns than their primary care doctor.